A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Saturday 29 June 2013

Flame by The Brunette


Having just invested in a chimnea for the garden, I had an easy source of fire to hand for this shot, so you can guess which one of us suggested this topic :) I had never photographed fire before and was going to get a tripod all set up and make a big deal of it all. Then one evening the husband and I were out there toasting marshmallows and I thought "Why not just grab the camera and some lenses and try out a few different exposures and shutter speeds" I did, and was SO pleased with the results! I ended up using a very long focal length lens to allow me to get in close to the action and maximise a small aperture and fast shutter speed. I had so many shots I loved for different reasons, it was hard to choose my favourite, but I love the variety of different flames in the one I choose, the variations in colour and the almost magical / sculptural quality of the flames against the black background. Of the ones in the filmstrip, I nearly choose the second from left as I love the "D" shape created by the rounded edge of the chimnea and a piece of wood, and also the one on the far right capturing sparks from a block of wood. I'd quite like a series of these on a canvas print I think! As for post production - not much at all, a tweak to contrast, to blacken the shadows, and a tiny tad more saturation to bring out the colour range and that's all! Well happy with the results of this one! 

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful photo, you have captured flames perfectly. I love the different textures, and it is almost a 3D photo that has come alive with its different depths. I love staring at flames and these photos capture everything I like about that. Top top effort!

    ReplyDelete