A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Breaking the Rule of Thirds by The Blonde


The weather here in the UK has been hard work this summer so far! I kept waiting in vain for a nice sunny day to go out and shoot some landscapes, but began to believe that day was unlikely to ever arrive! So decided to go out and shoot B&W and make the most of the moody cloudy weather as subject matter. Breaking the Rule of Thirds actually ended up being harder that I anticipated. Maybe I have been a photographer for too long, but I found I automatically framed according to the rule and had to make myself do something other than line up on the imaginary grid! What I did discover though is that it does create quite a powerful image when you centre in on the subject instead. Especially in these cases when I was looking to create quite a visually arresting photograph. I think the graphic nature of these flowers against the sky with the added contrast and vignette effect makes it quite "sinister" somehow, and the central composition adds to that because it's so "in your face". Other examples also leveraged the brooding sky to create a sinister emotional response, I was torn between the one I choose and the pitchfork like teasels on the far left below, as they do look quite ominous from the low perspective I thought!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely stunning photo, and using the adverse weather conditions so far this summer to your advantage. I think you have it spot on in that the viewer's focus here is 100% on the subject. The pitchfork like teasels are seriously scary and I love the bottom right photo of the sky which illustrates the breaking of the rules perfectly and is a wonderful photo. A really good effort all round!

    ReplyDelete