A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Monday 18 June 2012

Boats by TJ


Dog walking came up trumps for this photo! A few days earlier I had been walking the dogs at work trying out a new path heading towards the River Thames at Medmenham. I had no idea where the river was and the only way I eventually realised it was there was by seeing the boats the other side of the field. I took a photo on my mobile and decided it would be worth coming back with my camera to see what I could get. I tried a number of shots at different zoom distances and wanted a balance of not having the boat too small, but also to get the field and background into the shot to get across the idea of the shot. I think it works quite well as on first viewing it does appear that the boat is not on the river but in a field.

For my other shots there is the same shot as the main photo but with the picture more panned out, showing how I worked to get the balance right between the boat and location. Myself and The Blonde had spent a day in Greenwich and I was hoping that the Cutty Sark might provide my boat photo. I was pleased with the shots I got, but I just didn't quite feel I captured it quite right. Part of the problem is that close up it is hard to capture it in whole and without it appearing too much like the tourist attraction that it is, and maybe if I went back again I would look at locations to get a shot further away similar to ones I took below. The black and white shot was an idea that I wanted to try in replicating photos of years gone by when boat masts would appear thorough buildings along the river in London. The colour photo combines the past and present with the historical boat in the foreground and Canary Wharf of the present in the background. The final picture is from The National Maritime Museum also at Greenwich of the stunningly restored Prince Fredrick's Barge dating back to 1732.


1 comment:

  1. I love the shot you choose, it totally looks like a boat adrift and at sail in a field! Really interesting! I also like the sepia shot, it's a great effect to use, and really does look like some of the 18th Century photos we looked at in the Museum!

    ReplyDelete