A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Sunday 20 May 2012

High Key by TJ


This topic was great fun, and also gave me a good opportunity to experiment with my camera settings to achieve over exposure and removing shadows. The picture was set up in a bedroom with my white backdrop draped over a bed as I had no way of hanging it up. I set the camera up on a tripod and on a 10 second timer meaning I had to get around to the front and lay down on the floor on my stomach in order to get into shot. I also used a light reflector for the first time and this certainly made a difference in the eyes. I thought that I would have to use editing software to get the finished article, but actually this is the first topic we have done, where I haven't tweaked the picture at all in post production. The only thing I did was to crop the original photo, so what you see in the photo is my eye against the white backdrop. I was really happy with this exposure as it is hard to make out the line of my forehead above the eye.

In my other photos I had tried photographing an orchid and was pleased with the effort, but the flowers were on the way out so I really needed to find another white flower to pursue this idea. The portrait in the top left is the photo I used to crop for the main photo, which shows how the outline of my face seems to merge into the white backdrop. The bottom left photo I almost chose as the main photo keeping it as a portrait shot as not only was it nice and bright without shadowed areas, it was also not too bad a shot of myself.


1 comment:

  1. Gosh! I LOVE this! I think this is the best shot you have ever taken! SUPERB!!! The catchlight in the eyes from the reflector makes ALL the difference, its great!!!

    ReplyDelete