A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Friday 18 May 2012

High Key by The Blonde


I REALLY enjoyed this assignment! I was surprised how easy I found it to manipulate the camera's exposure controls to get the effect I wanted, and only needed a few subtle tweaks and crops in post production. I love the "painterly" feel to the shots, sometimes saying less is more, and although you can't pick out all the detail in the flowers, it focuses the eye on the almost sensuous curves of the flower leaves, and leaves you to fill in the rest yourself. It also focuses very much on the textures and has quite a 3D effect I think. I had trouble deciding between the colour or the black and white versions (see filmstrips below) But in the end really liked the fact that although it is in colour, the only colours are the white and green, so it has that monochrome feel to it. Also you will see below I had some fun with a Christmas ornament, I really like the over exposure effect on the sequins and would happily have that on my wall as a canvas print! I think High Key might be a regular feature in my photographic portfolio from now on!



1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous photo as certainly it shows me the way to capture a flower in high key. I love the way the white leaf merges into the background and personally I think the colour one works best. I love the 3D effect too, the depth and layers are stunning. The shape reminds me of a bird and it almost comes alive when I look at the photo. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete