A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Monday 14 May 2012

Bridges by TJ


I have come to the conclusion that the bigger the bridge the harder it is to photograph. When the opportunity arose to take a work delivery up to Hull, the Humber Bridge was always going to be my "bridge" photo. What this topic has brought home to me is sometimes photographs can require a lot of planning. The Humber Bridge is a wonderful suspension bridge, the problem for me is that it is 200 miles from home. Therefore my window of opportunity was small as I could only spend about an hour getting my shot. I was therefore in the lap of the gods as far as the weather goes, and I was stuck with having to take a photo mid afternoon where as the lighting conditions at daybreak or sunset would have been better. Another problem was I wasn't really able to explore the local area to find the best places to take photos from, and so with hindsight it would probably have been easier to have stuck to a bridge closer to home and been able to really put more planning into the shot. So this was a big challenge, and in the short time I was there I got onto the bridge and onto the shoreline under the bridge too. For my chosen shot I was down on the beach by the bridge, and the sun came out for a few minutes and came a lovely glimmering effect on the water. Rather than zoom in on just the bridge I liked the "complete" effect I got with the photo; the beach in the forefront, the tiny boat  under the bridge, the light refection on the water and the wonderful backdrop of clouds. I would love to have another crack at this bridge as it is an amazing structure and with endless photographic potential.

For the other photos I tried a few different angles from the shoreline. The structure is so huge you would have to retreat some distance to get the whole bridge in the one shot, and the trade off for that would be losing some of the close up detail you get nearer to it. I did consider using a black and white photo for the main shot, but felt that in this instance it would been too "safe" an option. I've included one shot from the footpath where I was able to get an unusual shot of the bridge through some railings.
 

4 comments:

  1. Great shot! I love the effect of the wide angle lens, it makes it feel almost 3D. I think you hit just the right light for this to really "pop"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty in the Bridges, stunning shot Tim well done. thanks for sharing it, i love it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these. I was genuinely impressed by my first view of it, and these only add to that. Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well worth the drive! Beautiful bride and beautiful photography. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete