A journey of photographic adventure, Two Views was born by two friends having a blast and learning from each other on a photo shoot in the autumn sunshine, asking the question “How can we continue to push our photographic boundaries in terms of technical knowledge, new challenges and creativity and have fun at the same time?” The answer we came up with was to set ourselves a project every two weeks, and then publish the results together. Two Views of the same subject / idea or technical approach. By the end of this year we will have covered 26 subjects and produced at least 50+ awesome photographs, and have learned a huge amount along the way! We’d love your comments, critiques and ideas, and if you want to “play along” too, please do let us have your shots by links in the comments sections! TJ & The Brunette

Friday 30 December 2011

The Rule of Thirds by TJ


This was an interesting topic, and a nice introduction for me into photography techniques. I think when I look back at many of the recent photos I have taken, I have been applying the rule of thirds without even realising it. For this topic I purposely when out taking pictures using the grid display on the camera to apply the rule on all the photos I took. I went out with the intention of being more concerned about applying the rule than the actual subject matter itself, although that didn't really work out as once I decided on my location I wanted to get as good a picture as I could. The scene is on the river Thames at Maidenhead with the Brunel railway bridge with its huge sounding arches spanning the river. I applied the rule twice on this photo. The water line was a natural line for the bottom third of the photo, and by placing myself in the picture I put myself in the right hand bottom third by using a tripod and timer. I quite liked this touch as it wasn't intended to be a portrait, but by putting myself in the photo it kind of opens up the rest of the photo and gives a good sense of scale with the bridge in the background. I used back and white partly due to the overcast weather conditions, a nice tip that was from The Blonde, and it does I feel add a little depth and atmosphere to the photo. I played around a little with the contrast, but pretty much left it as is.

The other photos tell the story of the project set up. Firstly there is the original colour photo and then follows a black and white version with the grid lines which explains in vision the principle of the rule of thirds. The picture of me with the landscape background was taken at Winter Hill near Marlow. The bridge photos were also experimental in terms of different views of the bridge in the main picture, but to have the rule of thirds applied. The final photo of Maidenhead bridge was taken the other side of the main bridge where I applied the rule on the horizon line and from the left hand top corner.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo! I like the fact you are in it, as it really adds interest and gives scale to the shot too! I also love the one of the underside of the bridge and then the view through and beyond! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete